Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Something unusual has happened

4 posters

Go down

Something unusual has happened Empty Something unusual has happened

Post  carol Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:05 pm

Hi,

Something is happen tonite when i played with Jingle, She was eating her stool after she poo. As i know this is very command if happen on dog but how abt Guinea Pig? Will GP having the same habit as well?or is there any health problem?

Me and my husband are worried her since we never see her do this before Sad . Kindly advice me please.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Carol

carol

Female Number of posts : 12
Number Of Points : 2
Something unusual has happened Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Something unusual has happened Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-16

Back to top Go down

Something unusual has happened Empty Re: Something unusual has happened

Post  Admin Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:07 am

No need to worry at all! This is common for a Guinea Pig, as there is plenty of nutrition left in the poo.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 164
Something unusual has happened Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Something unusual has happened Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-07-05

http://guineapigs.niceboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  carol Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:22 am

Admin wrote:No need to worry at all! This is common for a Guinea Pig, as there is plenty of nutrition left in the poo.

Thank You for your information, Jingle is lethargy in these few days. She only stayed and lying in her house only these few days. There are some discharges surrounder one of her eye. I have give some vitamin C to her and will try and see how is her condition in these 2 days, if not improve then i will bring her to vets. Crying or Very sad

Just read an artical as below from one of web and i'm a bit worried whether Jingle might fall in either of the condition.

Conditions requiring veterinary attention:

Malocclusion of premolar Teeth - Commonly seen in two to three-year-old guinea pigs where the upper and lower premolar teeth meet improperly while chewing, resulting in abnormal wear of these teeth. This results in continual injury to the tongue. Drooling and weight loss results.

Vitamin C Deficiency Scurvy - Since guinea pigs are unable to manufacture Vitamin C they are prone to vitamin C deficiency which is known as scurvy, and is characterized by inappetence, swollen, painful joints and ribs, reluctance to move, poor bone and teeth development and spontaneo us bleeding from the gums and into muscle.

Difficulties during delivery (Dystocia) - Frequently occurs in first bred after seven months of age. The signs of dystocia includes straining and uterine bleeding during pregnancy.
Hair Loss Hair loss or thinning of the hair is common among pregnant sows. Especially after repeated breeding. Hair loss in juvenile guinea pigs might be due to 'barbering' a vice when guinea pigs habitually chew on the hair coat. Hair loss can be due to fungus or external parasites.

Heat Stress (heat stroke) - When the environment temperature rises above 26.6 C and the humidity is above 70 per cent with poor ventilation and over crowding. Heat stress sets in with signs of panting, slobbering, weakness, refusal to move about, delirium, convulsions and eventually death. To avoid heat stroke keep the animal in a well ventilated shady area.

Cancer - Cause is relatively uncommon in guinea pigs although tumours are seen on the skin and in the respiratory tract lining, reproductive tract, mammary glands and in the blood (leukemia).

Footpad Infections (Bacterial Pododermatitis) - This is a serious (sometimes crippling) infection of the footpads due to poor housing and the animals being continuously on wire mesh. Signs include swelling of the paws, lameness, reluctance to move and inappetence.

Pneumonia - Poor housing and over-crowding gives rise to labored breathing, discharge from eyes, lethargy and inappetence. Some animals might die without the above mentioned signs being apparent.

Intestinal Infections - Due to contaminated food and water. Signs of loose stools, lethargy and marked weight loss evident.

Lice Infestation - Infestation are mostly due to external parasites. Light infestations usually go unnoticed. Heavy infestations are usually accompanied with excessive itching, scratching and sometimes loss of hair. Scrabs sometimes can be noticed.

Mite Infestation (Mange) - Common mites cause scabies. Mites cause a lot of scratching leaving serious lacerations on the coat. The mite can be identified under the microscope.
Intestinal Parasite Problems Protozoan infections are most common causes of coccidiosis. Signs of this disease include weakness, diarrhea and severe weight loss. Pinworm infections in guinea pigs usually go unnoticed.

carol

Something unusual has happened Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Something unusual has happened Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:33 am

Some milky white dischanges from the eye are normal, as they produce this for grooming. However, don't be fooled. Guinea Pigs who display the same behaviour as Jingle might be very ill. Don't worry- just take her to the Vet for a check up.
I cannot tell you what she may have- I can only guess. So take her to the Vet for expert help. Please do not be too worried, the Vet should sort it all out.
Good luck.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Something unusual has happened Left_bar_bleue10 / 10010 / 100Something unusual has happened Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post  carol Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:34 am

Just back from vets, Jingle is having fever,flu and suspected she might have jowl problem also coz there are some white discharge on her eyes. Dr. give some antibiotic, anti-fever, eyes drop and vitamin C to Jingle. I will monitor her condition within these few days.

Hope she will get well soon. sunny I love you

carol

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:20 am

We all do, Carol.
So here is a big 'Get well soon!' from me and all the Guinea Pigs here. sunny
Please keep us updated.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Beth Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:23 am

I really do hope that Jingle gets better very, very soon.
Make sure you feed plenty of fresh fruit and veg to your Guinea Pig, as well as grass. This will ensure they do not have a lack of vitamin C in their diet.

Get well soon, Jingle (what a lovely name).
Beth
Beth

Female Number of posts : 51
Something unusual has happened Left_bar_bleue1 / 1001 / 100Something unusual has happened Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post  carol Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:16 am

Thank You god and thank you to everyone that care and pray for Jingle, She is recovered as this monring she is coming out from her house and drink and eat herself. Very Happy At the mean time, i still give her the antibiotics and anti-fever medicine as dr.advice. Jingle is very picky she dont like to take any veg and fruits, i have tried to mix some veg and fruits in her baby paste but she will not eat untill i taking off and change a fresh baby paste.

Jingle was use to take baby paste(mix veg) as her main course and alfafa and pallete will be the 2nd and 3rd course because Jingle's mother rest in peace when Jingle was 10 days old and in malaysia there are no milk for Guinea Pig. Dr.suggest to give some baby paste (must be mix veg) to Jingle since she still need mother milk and wt some pallete. Maybe she already use to this and it is not easy to change her appetite so dr. advice me to change it slowly but added a bit of veg or fruits.

Dr. help me to get soluteable Victamin C and everyday put half table to Jingle water but Jingle refuse to drink the Victamin C. I have to feed Jingle to drink the victamin C water everyday when she is sick and reduce to twice or one a week when she is recovered.

I planed to get a partner (same gender) for Jingle soon when she is fully recover and hope Jingle will influence by her partner to take the veg and fruits. Smile

carol

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:25 am

I'm so glad that she is now ok!
A partner would really help her, as, like you said, the Partner may help her eat the Fruit & Veg.
When she is fully recovered, it would be great if that's one of the first things you do.

Good luck! Like a Star @ heaven
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Skinny Pigs Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:28 pm

Oh my God! I have only just come back from holiday, and I have now just saw this! How upsetting, is Jingle OK now?

Skinny Pigs

Male Number of posts : 8

Registration date : 2008-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post  carol Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:27 pm

Skinny Pigs wrote:Oh my God! I have only just come back from holiday, and I have now just saw this! How upsetting, is Jingle OK now?

Thank You for your caring, Jingle is ok now. I have bring her to vets again after she complete the antibiotics and Dr.said she is recovering. Just found that she is not as active as previous when she is in the cage but if we take her out and play wt her she is ok. I think i should get her a partner (same gender) asap.

carol

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:14 am

A partner is the best thing you could do for her, as it will make her more active and happy.
Keep up the good work!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum